Hot Rod Drives Cardiff to Victory

Updated: May 18, 2014
Cardiff GAA Banner

Cardiff St Colmcilles   2-12   1-12   St Judes Bournemouth

A haul of 2-6 from Cardiff corner forward Sean Roddy ensured that St Colmcilles brought St Judes of Bournemouth’s unbeaten league run to an end at the Southampton Rugby club on Saturday. Cardiff made the trip knowing that a win would be vital in continuing the steady progress that they have been making throughout the league campaign. Manager Eoin Butler has been focused and concise in preparing his team and this would be another building block in his grand plan.

Cardiff started brightly but failed to make it count on the scoreboard by kicking the first wide of the game direct from the throw in. St Judes took the initiative and managed to register the first score of the game. Cardiff however, replied in kind, directly from the kickout, something which became a feature of the game from start to finish.

Cardiff took a direct approach which reaped dividends on more than one occasion. The Cardiff full forward line won a lot of ball and as such their team mates wasted no time in getting the ball in to them. Full forward Martin Flood won a lot of frees throughout and caused no end of problems to the Bournemouth defence. The pin-point accuracy of St Colmcilles goalkeeper Aidan Farrelly’s kick outs was telling as, more than once he found one of his corner forward’s with Sean Roddy and Shane Hyland taking their scores with ease.

The St Colmcilles defence picked up where they left off against Western Gaels and produced their best performance of the year so far. The full back line of Patrick McHale, Martin Doyle and Cathal Garvey were teak tough in the tackle and worked hard to limit the space in the Bournemouth full forward line. Ollie Harney and Tony Murtagh were up and down the field covering a lot of ground in defence and attack whilst Cardiff captain Mark O’Neill organised his defensive line.

Richard Murphy put Cardiff on the front foot with a opportunistic point after great work by Paul Kennedy and Paudie Rooney before Roddy breached the Bournemouth defence and dinked the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper to give Cardiff a 1-5 to 0-7 lead at half time.

The second half saw the game heat up with full blooded tackles going in. The type of game Brian Cody might describe as ‘a good manly game’. Kieran Doyle of Bournemouth kept the pressure on the Cardiff defence and won a few frees as St Colmcilles refused to give up scoring chances easily.

Cardiff manager Eoin Butler used his squad to full effect and introduced some fresh legs with Dan McCool, Donal Clancy, Des Foley, Billy Breen and David Tack Quinn coming in. Midfielder Kevin Smyth seemed to be everywhere as he tackled, hassled, won ball, set up attacks and snuffed out Bournemouth breaks. He was colossal for Cardiff and worked very hard throughout. His midfield partner Richard Murphy swung over a massive score from out wide on the right before Donal Clancy put the finishing touch to a great run by splitting the posts himself.

Roddy’s exceptional free taking was a constant and he grabbed his second goal before the end as he drove a low shot into the bottom corner having turned his man. Bournemouth got a goal of their own in the dying minutes before Cardiff had the last say with the returning David Tackleberry Quinn lofting over a score that would have Sean Cavanagh looking for a selfie with him.

Cardiff held out to claim a hard fought win which will stand to them as they look forward to the league semi finals in July. The games to date have shown that the Gloucestershire League deciders are sure to be crackers.

Cardiff St Colmcilles: Aidan Farrelly, Cathal Garvey, Martin Doyle, Patrick McHale, Ollie Harney, Mark O’Neill, Tony Murtagh, Richard Murphy (0-2) Kevin Smyth, Aidan Watt, Paul Kennedy, Paudie Rooney, Sean Roddy (2-6) Martin Flood (0-1) Shane Hyland (0-1)

Subs: Donal Clancy (0-1) David Quinn (0-1) Des Foley, Billy Breen, Dan McCool.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *